Friday, June 26, 2009

Purple Rain turns 25, but are you sure he still wants to see you standing in it?

Dare I say it? Purple Rain is not my favourite Prince song.  Neither is it my favourite album. Maybe this is because I wasn't there at the time. Maybe its because I've heard it 3 billion times (Ironically Joy in repetition is my Purple Rain) or maybe its because it's simply not his best work.

I am sure that the album has paid for many a pair of hand made silk boxer shorts, funny shaped guitars, golden walking sticks and dates with some of the worlds hottest babes, but he too must be bored to death with it by now.  Maybe thats why he, quite controversially, stopped playing it at gigs for a while.  Maybe its why he tried tarnishing the films golden success by following it up with Graffiti Bridge, the worlds worst ever film (sorry, the worlds most misunderstood film).  Or maybe thats why he wrote 22 new albums since!

Yes, 25 years have passed and the album still sounds great, but I find it quite sad that despite those 25 years and the 22 albums they have spawned, people still say, "Prince?  OK, apart from Purple Rain what else has he done?".

So to all of you Prince fanatics that find this article blasphemous, move on and remember - if you stand in the rain for too long you'll never get a sun tan.

No comments:

Post a Comment